RTCA’s Program Management Committee (PMC) held its June 2022 meeting approving nine guidance documents, reviewing workplans for the Special Committees (SC), and incorporating changes to the various committee Terms of Reference (TOR) that reflect leadership and work plan changes.
Chaired by Dr. Chris Hegarty of The MITRE Corporation, the 20-member PMC is the RTCA oversight body charged with producing timely and robust standards and guidance documents to ensure interoperability of aviation systems and equipment. The standards encourage innovation and serve as the basis for meeting Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations. An important responsibility of the PMC is ensuring the operational application of the technical standards.
As mentioned, the Members of the PMC approved nine standards:
· DO-282C – MOPS for Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast, presented by SC-186, Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B)
· DO-392 – Guidance on Security Event Management, presented by SC-216, Aeronautical Information Systems Security
· DO-393 – Process Standard for Security Certification and Declaration of ATM ANS Ground Systems, presented by SC-216, Aeronautical Information Systems Security
· DO-394 – Considerations for Aeronautical Data Alteration, presented by SC-217, Aeronautical Databases
· DO-346A – AeroMACS MOPS, presented by SC-223, Internet Protocol Suite (IPS) and Aeronautical Mobile Airport Communications System (AeroMACS)
· DO-236D – MASPS: Required Navigation Performance for Area Navigation, presented by SC-227, Standards of Navigation Performance
· DO-307B – Aircraft Design and Certification for Portable Electronic Device (PED) Tolerance, presented by SC-234 Portable Electronic Devices (PEDs)
· DO-363A – Guidance for the Development of Portable Electronic Devices (PED) Tolerance for Civil Aircraft, presented by SC-234 Portable Electronic Devices (PEDs)
· DO-378A – MASPS for Coexistence of Wireless Avionics Intra-Communication Systems within 4 200-4 400 MHz, presented by SC-236, Standards for Wireless Avionics Intra-Communication (WAIC) system within 4200-4400 MHz
Four SCs received approval for changes to their work plans. These are SC-159 – Navigation Equipment Using the Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS), SC-216 – Aeronautical Information Systems Security, SC-228 – Minimum Performance Standards for Unmanned Aircraft Systems, and SC-238 – Counter UAS. It was determined that SC-239 – Low Range Radar Altimeter TOR needs further refinement and would be worked through the Integration and Coordination Committee.
Additionally, the PMC considered way forward on SC-240 – Topics on Software Advancement and the Forum of Aeronautical Software. There was also discussion on FAA Actions on previously published documents, International Coordination and SC Chair reports.
NOTE: The new documents are available on the RTCA Store at: https://my.rtca.org/nc__store.