Forum for Aeronautical Software
The Forum on Aeronautical Software (FAS) is a joint RTCA/EUROCAE User Group that holds discussions and develops Information Papers (IPs) relating to aeronautical software topics in efforts to harmonize these information papers. The purpose of this area of the RTCA/EUROCAE website is to provide an overview of the FAS and to provide access to selected Information Papers (IPs). Topics typically addressed by the FAS will relate to aeronautical software, including topics covered by the following set of RTCA/EUROCAE published documents (referred to as the "software document suite"):
- DO-178C - Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification
- DO-278A - Software Integrity Assurance Considerations for Communication, Navigation, Surveillance and Air Traffic Management (CNS/ATM) Systems
- DO-248C - Supporting Information
- DO-330 - Software Tool Qualification Considerations
- DO-331 - Model Based Development & Verification Supplement
- DO-332 - Object Oriented Technology and Related Techniques Supplement
- DO-333 - Formal Methods Supplement
Any Information Papers released by FAS have been coordinated among the members of the group and have been approved by the FAS co-chairs for release. These papers do not constitute official policy or position from RTCA/EUROCAE or any regulatory agency or authority. These documents are made available for educational and informational purposes only.
The FAS has been established to provide a forum for those involved in the development of aeronautical software to share experiences and good practices and to provide a platform for the exchange of information regarding subjects addressed in the "software document suite", new and emerging technologies, development methodologies, interesting use cases and other topics related to aeronautical software and related technologies.
The goals of the FAS are as follows:
- To share lessons learned in the use of the "software document suite" and to encourage good practices and promote the effective use of RTCA's and EUROCAE's publications.
- To develop Information Papers related to subjects covered by "software document suite" or other related aeronautical software industry topics.
- To identify and record any issues or errata showing the need for clarifications or the need for modifications to the "software document suite".
If the FAS Executive Management Committee determines there is a general FAS agreement for proposed changes to the "software document suite" or the need for a new technology supplement, the FAS Executive Management Committee will bring this to the attention of RTCA/EUROCAE and FAA/EASA as appropriate with a request for discussion of the need for a new special committee/working group. It is expected that the efforts of the FAS would be used as input to the new special committee/working group thus the text development process would be more efficient as it would start with baseline material prepared by an expert user group.
Initial membership of FAS is limited to the Executive Management Committee and a Technical Leaders Group plus invited members who may be able to share their experience and expertise in the discussions related to and development of IPs.
- Executive Management Committee - comprising the Executive Management Committee Leaders identified and agreed with RTCA and EUROCAE.
- FAS Technical Leaders Group Members are those members identified by the Executive Management Committee to assist in leading Technical Groups (TGs) that will work on specific Information Papers as agreed by the FAS Executive Management Committee.
While membership is initially being managed through the Executive Management Committee, FAS is able to collect and store details of anyone wishing to Register Interest in the committee for future membership consideration.
Note that any contact and other information provided to the FAS shall be stored and maintained by the Executive Management Committee and will not be made available in the public domain. Click Registration of Interest to download the registration of interest form and upon completion, please submit it to email@example.com.
- RTCA ( firstname.lastname@example.org)
- EUROCAE ( email@example.com)
- Co-Chair: Patty Bath (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Co-Chair: Herve Delseny (email@example.com)
- Link for the RTCA/EUROCAE Website Link for general public to comment on the DO178C/ED12C Document Suite.
Click here to download the comment form. Upon completion, please submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This area will contain links to papers that have been approved by the executive committee of FAS Executive Management Committee for release into the public domain. These papers do not constitute official policy or position from RTCA/EUROCAE or any regulatory agency or authority.
- IP 1002 DO-331: "MBD Annex Table A-3 and A-4 Item Clarification"
- IP 1000 DO-248: "Parameter Data Item Clarifications"
- IP 1003 DO-330: "Tool Operational Requirements Validation"